Tummy bugs are very common in children and often cause diarrhoea and/or vomiting. These illnesses can usually be treated at home, with vomiting normally stopping within 1-2 days and diarrhoea within 5-7 days.
Keep your child at home and encourage:
- Regular small sips of drink
- Eating when they can
- Smaller amounts of food more often, using a different feeding position, if needed.
If symptoms get worse or last longer than expected, then it’s time to ask for help. Call 111 as your first point of contact if your child has:
- Not passed urine in 12-18 hours, or
- Blood in their diarrhoea or it lasts 7+ days, or
- Been vomiting for more than 2 days.
The Emergency Department is for life-threatening symptoms. Call 999 or go to Accident & Emergency when your child has:
- Bright yellow, green or brown vomit, or
- Blood in their vomit, or
- Swallowed something poisonous, or
- A stiff neck and pain when looking at a bright light, or
- A sudden severe headache or stomach pain.